Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Hey now, you're an Allstar..."

After a busy Sunday, I'm sitting here on the sofa watching the girls groove to Just Dance Wii. Despite the cheesy tunes, this game has proved to be a means of keeping sanity during this winter. Even Ruby gets in on the action. I've busted a couple of moves myself only to feel that aerobics class paranoia set in..you know, when you realize you are the only one who can't keep the beat? Jack stands in his play gym and throws his arms in the air doing his best to participate.

Funny conversations arise from some of the songs. Percy-Kate asked me why only young men were welcome at the YMCA. (Trish, tell Cary I'll have Percy-Kate give him a call for the long version of that answer :) Even funnier, Ruby walks around singing "..won't you take me to Monkeytown..." (instead of Funkytown.) The love songs have given me ample opportunity to deprogram our culture's concepts about love and attraction. The girls just sing along and have no idea what they're singing. I am fine with that, mind you. But occasionally, Percy-Kate gets a little too starry eyed as she sings along. Being the pragmatist I am, I keep it real for her. Dear Lord, what will the teenage years be like for us all? Is is too late to convert our family to Anabaptists?

Then I think about the songs I grew up listening to. Was it ever okay that as a child I knew all the words to "Family Tradition" by Hank Jr.?




Or how about "I'd Love to Lay You Down" by Conway?





The answer is no, it was not okay. I wasn't too warped by it all, though. Although, it could explain why I guard my babies' ears so carefully.

No comments: