Sunday, August 9, 2009

For those who can fill in the blanks...


I had considered beginning this blog in May. I set up the page, then found I had nothing to say. Maybe, I found I had nothing to say that would be of interest to anyone outside of my head. Nonetheless, here I am, putting my observations out there for the world.

I was talking with Natalie on the phone tonight and she shared that she was also considering a blog. Blogs are a sad reflection on our culture, in my opinion. We are too busy to sit down and just have a good long talk with others. We resort to Facebook, Twitter, etc. to engage (inadequately, mind you) with others. In the case of relationships like my friendship with Nat, we are separated. I can't just plop down on her sofa and share all the details of my mundane life. For almost 10 years, Nat and I have faithfully committed one or two hours a week on the phone to just talking. We talk about odds and ends of our weekly lives. Somehow, the little details keep us tied together. I know who her friends are, her doctor's advice, what she is reading, who harrassed her on the bus, the movie she saw that mentioned the bookstore in Paris that we love so much,...I know when Nat reads my blog, she can fill in the important gaps common to internet living such as the sound of my voice, the words I leave out, my tone, my affection or lack of. So maybe this blog will be valuable for those who know me and love me, those who can fill in the blanks.




No comments: